Sunday, March 30, 2014

Tolkien and High Fantasy

It will sound strange, but I often think of Tolkien as a symbolist, somehow. The ancient stories of the Silmarillion have that type of feel to them.

Tolkien is another thing I like dipping into. From Elwing saving the silmaril by turning into a bird to the destruction of the two trees to Celeborn, I love it. My dad had me read it at a young age, so I love the black speech of Morder and the secret names of the dwarves.

I love the quote from the movies that the nazgul murmur:
Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha – gûm-ishi ashi gurum.

There-is-no life in-the-cold, in-the-dark. Here – in-the-void only death.

Tolkien is truly beautiful, and his tales in the Silmarillion are really interesting. If you read it like an encyclopedia one story at a time, once in a while, it's really fun.

The grinding ice, or Helcaraxë, was crossed by Galadriel and many other elves when they went to Middle Earth. What an incredible journey to include. Tolkien has so many great ideas packed into the Silmarillion.

Many fan made songs are really cool, as is the BBC soundtrack song 'O Elbereth Gilthoniel - BBC Lord of the Rings - Stephen Oliver'. On Youtube there's the 'Galadriels song of Eldamar, Ai! Laurie Lantar' and the 'The Tolkien Ensemble-Hymn To Elbereth Gilthoniel III'.

No comments:

Post a Comment