Sunday, March 30, 2014

Mystical Books


Mystical books can ignite your desire to read every genre. They have a way of being symbolist, and eldritch and Derridean all at the same time. 

The Symbolism of the Tarot [here] by the Russian P. D. Ouspensky (Пётр Демья́нович Успе́нский) from 1913 is a great book that I encountered over and over again as a kid and then as an adult. I think everyone has something weird and mystical that they’re interested in. As an adult, I saw a Pre-Raphaelite paintings exhibit in Montreal's main art museum that sold the book, and bought it anyway.

Tarot cards remind me of the Jungian archetypes. I love his Red Book and his ideas. Instead of narrowly constructing my self identity, I like to think ‘in this moment, I’m like the fool, and in this next moment I will be like the hermit.’ Each facet of ourselves is I think represented in the limitless archetypes of Jung.

Another neat place for mystical books is Scarlet Imprint Press. I always love to read about what they're doing next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment