Sunday, March 30, 2014

Myst & Old Computer Games

Some computer games count as educational in my book. The Myst games and books were amazing. I loved Riven and the others as well. Atrus, my friend!

I still remember the old lines that I loved and puzzled over as a kid--after hearing this it just got me even more into literature and the endless landscapes it promised:
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure, that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned. It continued falling into that starry expanse, of which I had only a fleeting glimpse. I have tried to speculate where it might have landed, and I must admit however, such conjecture is futile. Still, questions about whose hands might one day hold my Myst book are unsettling to me. I know my apprehensions might never be allayed… and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written. 

Other games like 3 in Three, The Fool's Errand, Carnival, The silly noisy house were great too.

The classic game The Fool’s Errand is based around the tarot. It’s the fool’s journey through a land riven by war. The text is really interesting, you read a lot as you solve the puzzles. It’s so innovative, so much of it just blows you away and surprises you at every turn.

I never realized I read quotes of PD Ouspensky and Jung as a kid in The Madness of Roland, an old game I loved. It was based on The Song of Roland, a great long poem [here] with the mysterious 'AOI' refrain, how fascinating. I went on to enjoy Jung as an adult, without remembering that first moment of exposure.

No comments:

Post a Comment