Sunday, December 20, 2015

Xmas

The holidays prompt people to list the latest and most interesting things they've seen, read or bought--the famous David Lebovitz has recently put out his list. Here are some ideas:

For music, Wolfgang Voight's 1999 ambient music Gas album Königsforst is incredible, and his 'Zauberberg' [1997] is even better. For art, I love looking at Cargo Collective--it has everything! The new Macbeth movie appears to be an artistic triumph; try Interstellar for ambient atmosphere as well. Netflix's Jessica Jones is the best thing on tv for years.

For fashion, I think everyone reads Bill Cunningham religiously. Who can resist looking at Net-a-porter, though I usually prefer to get unique little things from designers who are just starting out.

Sites like Of a Kind and NeedSuppy is a great site [I love Jesse Kamm, here's one spot for her & here too; I constantly search for an opportunity to buy this one design of hers I saw years ago. I scour ebay! I love these almost medieval, interesting earrings by Fortune Favors the Brave. I love the site YBD [Young British Designers] as well.

Blogwise, the top of the top is usually Farmette in Ireland and the famous Mimi Thorisson in Médoc, France.

For old fashioned fun, the 80s and 90s have some great things to revisit: Victoria magazine for the Anne of Green Gables life aspirers, early The X Files seasons for their fresh take on atmospheric tv, the Toronto based Forever Knight for a classic Greek love style supernatural vampire tv show, and the classic manga comic books about a tough, hidebound German NATO Major and an Robert Plant-like, wild international art thief: From Eroica with Love [Japan's  エロイカより愛をこめて].

No comments:

Post a Comment