Saturday, April 12, 2014

Honestly Link Roundup


The picture above is an early map, just there for fun.

This is the HonestlyWTF roundup--it's a great, huge site if you like fashion, interior design, beautiful art type stuff, even crafts. It's hard to describe, but it's enormous. Here are the standouts:

- See Jorge Pardo's incredible buildings and interiors in the Yucatan peninsula, which is one of the coolest places in the world--for history, location, people, art, everything. One of his designs has a huge pool of water incorporated into it, which I love. His personal aesthetic and style for art reminds me of New Mexico, which I have more exposure to, but is really unique--just gorgeous.

- These Moroccan rugs and the interiors they've been photographed in are amazing. I have a personal love of Moroccan and Berber rugs. The Berbers are incredible--Ibn Battuta, a medieval explorer was one, as was Kahina, the woman who fought her people's enemies in north-western Africa. Go here to see all the Berber rugs for sale on Etsy--it's one of my few weaknesses. I just want to hang them on my wall, whether classic or punk or post-modern looking!

- This Greek place was in House of Turquoise but it's something that would show up on Honestly--it's a really neat Greek type of house construction with interiors by Marilyn Katsaris and the place was done by Zege Architects. I usually am really picky about interiors and houses, but this is just incredible--the best photos are at the bottom. It's so ancient and yet modernist, very simple and beautiful.

- I love Spanish painter Josep Moncada Juaneda's paintings of pools, water, and summertime swimming; they're half impressionist, half hyperreal. Whatever the label, even I like them, despite being only so-so on the canon Impressionists [excluding the American Childe Hassam, and the Spanish Joaquín Sorolla, painters I do like].

No comments:

Post a Comment