Monday, April 7, 2014

Rewatch: TV

HBO's True Detective is incredible. The true terror that slowly, silently builds up is incredible. It's absolutely a show to try if you like M.R. James's scary stories [which were done in an antiquated style around the 1920s, which you should try if you like this kind of thing] or Hawthorne's, Poe's or Lovecraft. It has this edge of horror that's just kept out of the frame. And it's more scary for that.

The performances were ones I was doubting going in, and I was blown away; I forgot everyone's status as real people during the show. They were so totally different as their characters, even in terms of looks. It's really quite unbelievable, what a success. I'm so happy for them all. They have achieved so much.

I was glued to the TD Reddit the entire time, desperately trying to spoil myself so the fear after watching wouldn't keep me up at night. Spoiler: I failed.

I liked The Ring--this was like a superior version, in a sense. One that was more artistic, more beautiful and terrifying, more moving, more shocking. It is a pinnacle in aesthetics. They've truly raised the bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment